All Saints Methodist Church was founded in 1959, to serve a new estate in North Abingdon which had been built to house staff of the nearby scientific establishments. The local council had offered a plot of land near the junction with Oxford Road, and the Methodists of Trinity Church in Abingdon took up the challenge to build it, with members of that church moving to All Saints to form a core membership. The result was a lively congregation with (as one minister wrote) 'probably more Doctors of Science per metre of pew than any church in Britain'. Over time the local housing changed hands and the congregation grew and became more varied, so an extension was built in 1983 to accommodate the larger numbers and extra activities.
The original Manse was built on part of the land allocated to the church, so that the minister could be close at hand. However, some ministers did not appreciate the situation – between the church and the Boundary House pub, which could be noisy. So eventually the house was sold and an alternative Manse purchased.
The current congregation still follows the calling of the Methodist Church: 'to respond to the gospel of God's love in Christ, and to live out its discipleship in worship and mission.'
All Saints Methodist Church
There is free parking in our car park behind the Church in Dorchester Crescent.